The Cornerstone Library was formed after the closure of Churchtown Library. There has been much work done over the years and they now have a wonderful small community library, The Cornerstone Library. They aim to provide, a Library, Story and Rhyme Time sessions, IT access, support to the local community and more.
The Cornerstone Library are actively seeking to fill two volunteer roles that they have available including a Volunteer Manager position and a Treasurer Trustee position.
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Liaise with relevant staff, committee members and/or volunteers to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow committee members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at committee meetings to trustees and charity commission (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories
- Purchasing limits
- Purchasing systems
- Petty cash/ float
- Others as appropriate
- Appraising the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner if required
- Undertake bookkeeping duties and/or oversee the finance volunteer ensuring posting and bookkeeping is kept up-to-date.
- Maintain the petty cash system and regularly process petty cash claims.
- Arrange payments to creditors as appropriate and arrange appropriate signatures on payments.
- Make the necessary arrangements to collect payments from debtors and bank payments promptly.
- Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management (as necessary).
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly
Volunteer Manager/Coordinator (this role could be shared)
A Volunteer Manager/Coordinator of cornerstone library would be responsible for setting up the administration and coordinating the recruitment of volunteers. The person(s) engaged in this role would manage all elements of volunteering within the organisation in order to ensure that the overall project operates efficiently and professionally.
The role involves assessing the organisation’s needs and then meeting those needs through the recruitment, placement, and retention of volunteers.
The Manager/Volunteer coordinator would manage volunteers and their relationship with those they come into contact with, including Trustees, other volunteers, and service users of Library/Community Hub. They would also monitor, evaluate, and accredit volunteers.
- Researching and writing volunteer policies and procedures.
- Generating appropriate volunteering opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of the organisation.
- Promoting volunteering through recruitment and publicity strategies, public-raising events and campaigns.
- Organising rotas and providing inductions and training.
- Monitoring, supporting, motivating, and accrediting volunteers and their work.
- Liaising with Trustees and outside organisations to develop partnerships, establish good working relationships and to influence decisions about volunteering.
- Attending committees and meetings as required.
- Keeping up to date with legislation and policy related to volunteering and making any necessary modifications to accommodate changes.
- Monitoring and evaluating activities and writing reports for funders and trustees if required.
- Undertaking other administrative duties as required.
If you are interested in applying or learning more about this role, please contact;
Kim Ardron (Trustee) via email: NMLA.firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: The Cornerstone Library, 1 Marshside Road, Southport, Merseyside. PR9 9TL.